Instant Pot Vegan Nacho ‘Cheese’
Dairy free nacho cheese? Yes, it’s possible! Butternut squash, cashews and spices come together to make a creamy cheezy sauce/dip.
Appetizer, Main Course
About this Recipe
NACHOS! Do I need to say more?
If you are like me and occassionally miss certain dairy filled treats like nachos, then this recipe is for you. 100% plant based and packed with fiber and nutrients like Vitamin A from the butternut squash, this ‘cheese’ sauce is something you can feel good about indulging in.
- 1/2 Cup Cashews Soaked in hot water for 30 min
- 1 1/2 Cup Butternut Squash Peeled and chopped in 1 inch cubes
- 1 1/2 Cup Sweet Onion about 1/2 of a large onion
- 1/2 Cup Nutritional yeast
- 1/2 Cup Salsa Or to taste
- 1 Tbsp Lemon juice
- 1 Tsp Salt
- 1 Tsp Dijon Mustard yellow mustard works too
- 1 Tsp Garlic powder
- 1 Tsp Smoked paprika
- 1 Tsp Turmeric powder
- 1/2 Tsp Black pepper Ground
- 1/4 Tsp Nutmeg Optional
Add butternut squash and onions to instant pot and add 1 cup water. Cook 4 at high for 4 minutes, natural pressure release. (about 15 minutes).
When squash and onions are done cooking, drain reserving 1/4 cup liquid .
Add the cashews, lemon juice, salt, dijon, garlic powder, black pepper, smoked paprika, turmeric, nutmeg and reserved cooking liquid and use an immersion blender until completely smooth.
Mix in salsa to taste
Serve over chips for nachos or on the side as a dipping sauce
NUTRITION Per Serving
- Daily fiber recommendations are approximately 25g fiber per day based on a 2000 calorie diet, One serving of this sauce provides 20% of your daily fiber.
- I’m sure you know that vitamin A is important for vision health. Did you know that it plays also plays a role in cell growth, bone health, immune functions including promoting gut health and helps fight both cancer and heart disease?
- It is also important to note that vitamin A is a fat soluble vitamin meaning your body needs fat in the diet to absorb it.